Tutorial Tuesday: Sending You Cupcakes and Hugs

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_9

Well, here we are at Tutorial Tuesday–a little late in the day.  Between e-mailing cyberfriends after work, uploading to galleries, running downstairs for a snack of pickled herring (it’s my mom’s fault–she always had it in the fridge growing up and I’m craving it today), I am finally sitting down to write out my tutorial.

Today I’m sending you cupcakes and hugs.  How so, you ask?  Well, there is a yummy cupcake with sparkles on the icing, and the narrow band of paper hugs the card closed.  So there you have it.  Cupcakes and hugs.  Scroll to the bottom to see other variations of this card.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_1

Two colours of cardstock, one designer paper and a stamp to decorate your card.  The stamp I used here is from Odd Bird Planet.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_2

One  4 1/4″ x 10″ cardstock (score at 2 1/2″ and 7 1/2″)

One 1 1/2″ x 11″ band

Two designer papers 2 1/4″ x 4″

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_3

After scoring at 2 1/2″ and 7 1/2″, adhere the decorative paper to the small areas which will be the front of the card when closed.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_4

Lay the closed card on the band, and fold the band snuggly around the card.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_5

Where the cardstock overlaps, secure with strong adhesive.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_91

Adhere a decorated stamped image securely onto the overlapping hug–sorry, I mean paper.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_8

This card has a Cuttlebug front rather than designer paper.  See below for embossing tip.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_6

Insert the card front into the Cuttlebug folder and emboss.  Repeat again on the other flap.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_10

I hope this gave you some inspiration to try your own variation.  Don’t forget to link me up when you have your card done.

odd-bird-planet_card-fold-tutorial_cupcake-stamp_7

This band has an added sentiment that says, “Bring on the Cupcakes.”  The designer paper was trimmed slightly smaller than the dimensions above, and was matted on green cardstock.

Have a great week!!

Stamps:  Odd Bird Planet; Cardstock:  Pixie Pink, Taken with Turquoise, Green Gable, Orchard Opulence and unknown deep purple and turquoise; Designer Paper:  Junkitz; White dots are placed with a stylus dipped in acrylic paint;

For a complete index of my tutorials, click the top tab called Tutorials

Don’t miss my weekly tutorials–subscribe today

Posted on : Apr 14 2009
Posted under Tutorials |

Apr 14, 2009 - 09:04:36
Cheryl M said:

Beth these are wonderful! I really like them all but your green cuttlebug one is really super. Great job.

Apr 14, 2009 - 11:04:05
Ila said:

I love these cupcake cards Beth!! …the pattern for the card is fabulous!..hmmm pickled herring…now that is something I haven’t had in ages…..Yum!!….Hugs, Ila

Apr 15, 2009 - 12:04:17
Viv said:

Gorgeous cupcake cards Beth! Very mouthwatering…not like the pickled herring!
Shouldn’t knock it ’till I’ve tried it I suppose! lol
This is such an easy tute to follow. Going to have a bash at this.
Thanks for sharing!
Viv xx

Apr 15, 2009 - 02:04:55
barbd said:

I have always liked your cupcake cards… They are always so colorful and your technique be it watercolor or gel is precise as usual…Thanks for another easy tutorial…

Apr 15, 2009 - 09:04:11
Kim H said:

You rock a even a little late in the day! SMILE! I love this tutorial! Such a fun card to make! Your the best!

Apr 15, 2009 - 09:04:43
Manna said:

Great tutorial! Something I haven’t done for a while! Hope you are feeling better, Beth! Thanks again for the tutorial!

Apr 15, 2009 - 10:04:05
Kathi said:

Great tutorial. I love all the variations!

Hugs!!!

Apr 15, 2009 - 12:04:52
Jennifer E. said:

Those cupcakes look good enough to eat! Love the sparkle. I’ll have to try one of these cards soon. Of course I’ll let you know when I do!

Apr 15, 2009 - 01:04:06
Beth Ullman said:

Good Afternoon Beth, guess what I have been doing BTW loved your tutorial and your card is just scrumpious but I am afraid mine is not as tasty as yours as I didn’t have a cupcake 🙁 so I am sending you Flowers and Hugs

Apr 15, 2009 - 02:04:45
Jeanette said:

Cupcakes and Hugs. Very cute card and a clever presentation.

Jeanette

Apr 15, 2009 - 08:04:10
Chris said:

Hi Beth, thank you for the lovely comments you left for my cards today, they’re much appreciated. I love your cards they’re so bright and cheerful and the technique for how to make them is great. You asked me to email you about how I do the backgrounds for my images but I can’t find your email address here on your blog, I filled in mine to comment here, perhaps if you email me then I can explain how the backgrounds are done. Chris 🙂

Apr 16, 2009 - 11:04:30
Maria said:

Awesome tutorial, Beth!! I love the gatefold and the belly band. . such a fun project!! Wow, that cupcake looks yummy. . .love how you added the sparkles. . so pretty!! Beautiful colors too! I may just need to try to project out!! It’s fantastic!

Maria

Apr 17, 2009 - 01:04:07
Tami B. said:

I love how the hug holds it closed. I get frustrated by gatefold cards not staying shut. This is the perfect solution.

Apr 21, 2009 - 10:04:21

Beth I love the cuttlebug idea for a gatefold card! How easy and fast! thanks for the inspiration…

Apr 22, 2009 - 11:04:59
Jany said:

Great tutorial! I love your cards!