Tutorial Tuesday: Chalk Highlights on Die Cuts

chalk-tutorial_finished-card

Here we are at Tuesday already.  Where does the time go?!  I do a lot of blurfing and lately I found stampers crying out for certain tutorials.  Last week I found someone wanting a tutorial on highlighting with chalk.  This week I am doing just that.  In the near future I will explore colouring flower die cuts with chalk so stay tuned for that one.  On Thursday, I am answering another request that will show you how to create your own 6 x 6 envelope.

Turning to this week’s tutorial, if you take a close look at my Cricut cut holly leaves, you will see how they come alive by using chalks.  In real life, the leaves look so real.  Even Donnie was in awe of the beauty of these leaves.

Once again, I created a card that I felt needed a distressed background, so I chose the Altered Designer Paper technique from the April 2009 issue of the Technique Junkie Newsletter.  Building on the shabby chic look, I sewed lace across the card before layering the ribbon, image and holly leaves.  Designer paper was machine sewn onto the green cardstock.  Crystal Effects (clear glaze) was added to the carrot nose and red holly berries to help make them pop.  Snowflakes punches sprinkled with glitter were added to the main image.

Although this tutorial shows holly leaves, this technique can be used for any shape of die cut.

On to the tutorial…

chalk-tutorial_1

With a Q-tip, rub the lightest colour of chalk onto the die cut.  Repeat several times to help the colour pop.

chalk-tutorial_2

Take a medium colour and add it to the middle of the die cut, leaving the dark cardstock to show through on the bottom where the shadow would be.

chalk-tutorial_3

Blend with your finger.

chalk-tutorial_4

Here is the finished leaf.  I went over the light highlight several times.

chalk-tutorial_5

In a well ventilated area, spray with low odor clear mat finish to prevent chalk from smudging.  On my leaves I repeated with the highlights and resprayed a second time, helping the highlights to really pop.

6-x-6-envelope-tutorial_how-to-make-a-6-x-6-envelope_finished-2

Another view of the highlights.

This was a very fun tutorial to do.  If you have any requests, ask away and I’ll do my best to help out.

For a complete list of my tutorials, see the tab at the top of the page.

Posted on : Jun 02 2009
Posted under Tutorials |

Jun 2, 2009 - 08:06:22
Kim H said:

When I first opened your blog! I thought- wow those holly leaves look real- I hope the tutorial is on them….te he he! Great tutorial! This card is stunning! I have never used anything other than hair spray to seal chalk!

Jun 2, 2009 - 08:06:34
Beth Norman said:

Great idea Kim.

Jun 2, 2009 - 01:06:07
Cheryl M said:

Great card Beth! I plan on getting back into Christmas cards really soon. I love that snowman. Those leaves are pretty awesome also.

Jun 2, 2009 - 05:06:24
Danni said:

Very nice!! Love the card!

Jun 2, 2009 - 10:06:15
Maria said:

Oh my that snowman is adorable and you colored it so beautifully!! Love all the pretty colors that you used to bring Mr. Snowman to life! Thank you for the tutorial. . .the holly looks so much prettier highlighted. Awesome job, Beth!

Maria

Jun 3, 2009 - 11:06:38
Seleise said:

wow – very nice! love the idea of “highlighting” twice! awesome!

Jun 3, 2009 - 11:06:14
Yvonne said:

What a supercute card! Your tutorials are really great!
You have so many wonderful ideas.

Jun 3, 2009 - 02:06:27
beth said:

Hey GF what a awesome card you have there I love that snowman and your holly leaves are great they look very life like thanks again for a wonderful Tutorial Tuesday and I did play and here is my card sort’ve a combination of things.

Jun 4, 2009 - 12:06:29

Great post…especially in light of the trend for die cuts of late. I had given them up for lost, but now I might have to dig into my stash again, and chalk some new life into them!

Jun 5, 2009 - 05:06:17
Risa West said:

Wow…your card is super cute Beth! Your image and coloring totally rock! I also love your cool embellishments and ideas…very cool!
hugs
Risa:)

Jun 7, 2009 - 09:06:50
Barb Foster said:

Great tutorial, Beth, but I was distracted by the amazingly cute card you created… LOVE that snowman and your coloring is fantastic!

Jun 11, 2009 - 05:06:22
Kathi said:

Great card. I love the how you colored the snowman and altered the patterned paper!