Tutorial Tuesday: Paper Christmas Tree

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_7

There are a lot of paper Christmas trees around blogland this year, so I can’t say this tree is an original idea.  However, my tree stands apart from the others because there are lots of  layers, paper sizes, and ribbon.  I’ll bet you will be surprised to learn that that curly gold ribbon is in fact Christmas gift wrap ribbon.  It curls beautifully and adds a shine to the tree. The best part:  it’s quick and easy.

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_1

Supplies:

Styrofoam cone (mine is 7″ tall)

Different widths and lengths of paper.   Mine are 3/4″ x 7″ and 3/4″ x 5″

push pins

white glue/glue dots

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_2

Fold the 7″ strips of paper so that the ends touch.  Line up the bottom of the paper so it just touches the table.  Push the pin into the styrofoam.  Alternate colours.  Use the smaller lengths as you reach the top of the tree.

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_3

As you work upwards, let the bottom edge hang over top of the bottom layer.

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_4

These strips look big, but they are only 1/4″ wide.  Cut them into strips of 5″ and 4″.

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_5

Use push pins to pin the smaller pieces of paper in between the larger pieces of paper.

paper-tree-tutorial-christmas-projects-paper-art_6

Once you get to the top, pin curled gold ribbon to the top of the sytrofoam.   Place glue or glue dot on the back of the gold ribbon and ahere to the strip of paper directly underneath.  This ensures that the push pins are hidden.  When you push pins into the gold ribbon, make sure it is secured to the very top of the styrofoam as seen in this photo.

You are now ready to finish the top of your tree.  There are so many things you can do such as:

• Ribbon
  • Christmas ornaments
  • Dollar store decorations
  • polymar clay star
  • assorted colours of decorative gift wrap ribbon
  • beads

Please link me to your tree.  I’d love to see it.

Due to time constraints of the holiday season, I will continue with coloured pencil in January.  One kind reader let me know that it is just too hard to do homework at this time of year.   If anyone every has a comment that will be helpful to everyone, please feel free to let me know.

Posted on : Dec 08 2009
Posted under Christmas, Tutorials |

Dec 8, 2009 - 06:12:43
Godelieve said:

Your tree looks really festive Beth! I like the curly parts!

Dec 8, 2009 - 10:12:54

OMG this is so fun! I think the boys and I will try this later this week! Big snow storm here today! BTW- love your nails! So festive!

Dec 8, 2009 - 10:12:53
Smita said:

Lovely tree, Beth… Though I might not make it, I simply love the way you have done it.

Hugs,
Smita

Dec 8, 2009 - 12:12:13
jeanette said:

I had to go back and look at your nails. Yep, they are festive. Love the tree and it looks pretty easy to do.

Dec 8, 2009 - 02:12:18
Elaine Allen said:

Beth –

Lovely tree – I’ve never seen this done before. How is Snow doing?

Elaine Allen

Dec 8, 2009 - 11:12:03

Love your tree! Love your NAILS! And I am so glad about the pencil class. I have printed out every single lesson, and I really have tried all of your techniques, but I just have not had time for any homework. I will look forward to more in January! I’ve learned so much from you, and am very appreciative – Thank you!!!

Dec 9, 2009 - 12:12:03
Elizabeth said:

Lovely tree and very versatile – it can be done in any colour you fancy and doesn’t need specifically Christmas themed paper. I have been moving away from one large decorated tree to having numerous small handmade Christmas trees & masses of candles & silk pointsettia (otherwise known as instant – i.e. lazy – decorating). This will make a nice addition to the collection.

I appreciate you deferring the coloured pencil tutorials – I had good intentions but fell behind fairly quickly. Will look forward to it next year.

Dec 9, 2009 - 05:12:52
Viv said:

Love the tree Beth. Great step by step instructions too.
You are a STAR!!
Hugs Viv xx

Dec 9, 2009 - 05:12:38
kinglake said:

hiya this tree is gorgeous so simple but really lovely xx jo xx

Dec 9, 2009 - 02:12:48
silvia h said:

Pretty tree!! LOVE your Christmas manicure!!

Dec 9, 2009 - 03:12:17
Tami B. said:

Ok, the tree is great, but your nails are adorable. Love it.

Dec 10, 2009 - 06:12:14
beth said:

Beth this is so cute maybe I will get a chance to make one of these I think I have a cone downstairs some where your instructions are always so clear.

Dec 10, 2009 - 09:12:41
margie c said:

This is adorable, Beth! It would make a beautiful centerpiece! Love the different papers and ribbons! So vibrant 🙂

Sorry that I haven’t visited in a while, I’ve missed quite a few interesting posts!
Thank you for your inspiration 🙂 Trying to catch up!

Enjoy your weekend! ~ margie