How to use Watercolour Pencils and Coloured Pencil Together

coloured-pencil-and-watercolour-pencil-tutorial-stampin-up-7

Have you ever wondered about combining watercolour pencils with coloured pencil?  Today’s tutorial will focus on combining these two mediums.   Rather than focusing my tutorial on step-by-step colouring, my tutorial will show you how these two mediums harmonize.  Your work can be as complex or as simple as you like.  For step-by-step colouring tutorials you can read my previous tutorials:  Finishing Touches First, Let’s Start to Colour, and Colour Me Beautiful.

The advantage of watercolouring a large area first, is that there are no uneven lines.  This is particularly helpful when colouring a solid background.

To avoid your paper from buckling, I recommend using Stonehenge or watercolour paper.  The ink that you use is also important, as you don’t want it to smudge.  India ink or Stazon will work well.

Let’s begin by looking at today’s supplies:

coloured-pencil-and-watercolour-pencil-tutorial-stampin-up

Prismacolor Pencil Crayon

Watercolour Pencils

Odourless Mineral Spirits (OMS)

Blending Stumps

Paintbrush

Stamp(s)

Waterproof Ink

coloured-pencil-and-watercolour-pencil-tutorial-stampin-up-2

Colour your area with watercolour pencil crayon.

coloured-pencil-and-watercolour-pencil-tutorial-stampin-up-3

Place your brush into water and dab onto paper towel, and then blend your colour around until smooth.  Let dry completely.

coloured-pencil-and-watercolour-pencil-tutorial-stampin-up-4

Using Prismacolour pencil crayon, colour recessed areas sparingly and blend with OMS.  Note that the coloured pencil is coloured and blended in the appropriate directions. Do not carry the colour to the end.  You want the natural colour of the watercolour pencil crayon to show through.

coloured-pencil-and-watercolour-pencil-tutorial-stampin-up-6

Continue colouring your image until you are happy.

I  hope you enjoyed today’s lesson.  Join me next week when we will create fun backgrounds for your images.

Card Details:  Rose is from Stampin’ Up’s Fifth Avenue Floral set; Designer Paper is BasicGrey; Cardstock is Stampin’ Up’s Real Red and Crush Curry.  Scallop paper created with a Martha Stewart punch; Decorative Square is from Spellbinder’s Nestabilities.

For a full list of tutorials, please see my Tutorial page at the top of my blog.

Posted on : Jan 12 2010
Posted under Tutorials |

Jan 12, 2010 - 02:01:55
Myrna said:

Beth,
Stunning!!! I haven’t decided to color things yet. This is gorgeous.

Jan 12, 2010 - 03:01:14

OMG GIRLIE, this is break taking! I love your color choices! I am going to give this a go tonight! You inspire me!

Jan 12, 2010 - 03:01:27
Danni said:

What a gorgeous, gorgeous card!! Never thought of combining those two coloring mediums…thanks for the awesome tutorial!

Jan 12, 2010 - 04:01:04
beth said:

OMG Beth how breathtaking that rose is this is a definite on my to do list tomorrow GF you ROCK with those pencils your card is just so stunning. BTW thanks for the sweet comment on my tutorial over at CBC
Hugs

Jan 12, 2010 - 10:01:50

Well Beth that is the georgous of georgous Fifth Avenue colored rose I have seen yet…inspiring me to do one…
and thanks so much for the tutorial…I was mixing the two pencils…but not blending correctly…now I get it…lol
connie paxman

Jan 13, 2010 - 12:01:40
Ila said:

Beautiful card and fabulous tutorial Beth. I’ve never colored this way…I am going to have to try it. TFS!!…Hugs, Ila

Jan 13, 2010 - 09:01:14
Risa West said:

Hello there Beth!
Happy New Year wishes to you and your family! Your card is absolutely stunning! The rose is colored in perfectly and your tutorial is fabulous! TFS!!!
hugs
Risa:)

Jan 13, 2010 - 11:01:11
Cheryl M said:

Oh Beth this one is simply stunning! What a wonderful combination you have here.

Jan 13, 2010 - 01:01:27
Mel said:

Oh, this is lovely! 🙂 And such clear instructions I think even I could get something reasonable lol!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, it’s great to discover this one in return. And your comment was so lovely, thank you x

Jan 13, 2010 - 01:01:26
Sue said:

this is a definite rose; your tutorials for pencil coloring have been fantastic; can’t wait ’till next week. I really enjoy what you post, as you aren’t long & drawn out with your tutorials!

Jan 13, 2010 - 10:01:40
Karen J said:

Just BEAUTIFUL BETH!!!!!! The colors you chose are so perfect.

Jan 14, 2010 - 01:01:19
Jennifer E. said:

Stunning! That rose is just beautiful! thanks for the explanation!

Jan 14, 2010 - 01:01:54
Lyn S said:

This is a fantastic tutorial Beth, I will definitely be giving this a go!

Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment! I will enjoy being a visitor here too 🙂

Jan 15, 2010 - 11:01:52
Mel M said:

I am freaking out over this. I knew you were a complete Genius with a capital G, but PUHlease! This is over the top clever. I love the look you got & your card is stunning. I know I’ll be trying this for certain. As soon as humanly possible! Thank you for always being so generous with your creative Genius. You’re such an inspiration!

Jan 10, 2013 - 12:01:22
sylvia said:

Very nice technique and very helpfull for me who loves pencils since I was 4. The effect for drawing flowers petals is great. Thank you again

{ Apr 4, 2010 - 10:04:35 } pencil crayons