You Too Can Create One Card Every Day

Good morning folks. Today I will have two posts for you. Later today, I will post my blog candy. Until then, enjoy my tips for creating one card per day.

How you too can create one card per day

Today’s card was inspired by a comment I received yesterday. I was asked how I managed to create cards on a daily basis. I couldn’t help but create a card with this image to depict how we are all perceived by our friends and family, and even our blog readers. That comment lead me to think about my creativity process. I work full time, outside the house, and yet I find the time to blog and make cards every day. Let me share my creative process with you:

• My kids are grown and gone. That leaves me a lot of free time–something young families struggle with.
  • My Donnie is very understanding of my studio and blog work. He encourages me to give it my all.
  • Every day I am alotted two 15 minute breaks, at work, and one 30 minute lunch. That is 60 minutes a day, or 5 hours per week, to use for me. Me, me, me. Rather than leave my office area to walk down to the cafeteria, I sit with my huge Tim Horton thermos that I filled from home in the morning, and I sit in the kitchenette area and make the most of my time by colouring images (I read “ProBlogger” from cover to cover in one week doing this)
  • When I have one hour to spare in my studio, I use Odorless Mineral Spirits to blend out my images. After my images are blended, I pull out my Twinkling H2O’s and go to work enhancing the images.
  • When I need a card for a particular purpose, like this superwoman for in7stance, I just pulled the completed image off my stack of completed images.
  • One of the biggest secrets for me was to let go of that “hoarding” we all do. Don’t even think you can fool me. I know you’re a hoarder too. Why else do we leave packages in the cars until our husbands aren’t around to bring them in? Why else do we say, “what, that? Oh, I’ve had that for ages.” Of course you’ve had it for ages–it’s been in the back of the van for 3 months! By freeing ourselves of the need to hoard, we allow ourselves to use products we have, thus freeing up a lot of time trying to decide what NOT to use. Trying to decide what NOT to use, takes up a lot of time.
  • When I am in the mood to play with alcohol inks, I spend two hours creating approximately 20 to 30 backgrounds. I precut each piece of glossy cardstock, so my background is ready to use when I need a cool background in a hurry.
  • Create lists. I create long-term and short-term goals and stick to them. Start small. Do just one of my tutorials per month. It is amazing how much one can learn by trying a new technique.
  • Create when the mood hits you. If you are like me, you will notice you can create for hours at a time. Take advantage of that time, by telling your husband, or family, that tonight you are going to play in the studio for the night. On Thursdays, I go out for beer and wings with Donnie and our friends, so there is no cooking to do. From the time I get home from work, until the time we walk out the door to go out, I am in my studio creating cards and blogging.

How You Too Can Blog Every Day

I would love to blog every day, but life gets in the way. When I am really behind, you know it. This is how I blog every day:

• When I have a pile of cards to post, I upload them into my gallery and have them on hand when I need to post quickly.
  • When I have a lot of time on my hands, I will post up to one week in advance by using the “prepost” feature. For example, I’m leaving for beer and wings in five minutes, and know I won’t have time to post before I leave for work tomorrow at 5:30 a.m, so I am writing this and telling my post to go out tomorrow at 3:00 a.m. When I wasn’t sleeping, I’d post at 5:00 a.m., but I found that preposting is a much more convenient feature.
  • If I haven’t posted for a few days, I post blog candy so my readers won’t leave me (and we know we hate to loose readers, eh?!)
  • If I don’t have time to create a card, I provide my readers with links that I know they will appreciate and love.

I had a fabulous time putting this post together for you today. My blog candy is still up for grabs. Leave me a question that I can answer for you, or just leave me a comment, and your name will go into the hat. Stay tuned for the blog candy reveal later today.

Keep up with Tip and Tricks.  Subscribe today.

Posted on : Jul 25 2008
Posted under Tips & Tricks |

Jul 25, 2008 - 05:07:32
LaurenceB said:

It’s a great organisation !! At the moment it’s inspiration I need : what do you do to have it again ?
Stamping hugs
LaurenceB

Jul 25, 2008 - 06:07:38
Teresa said:

WOW Beth – what an amazing list of hints!
I’ve come to some of the same conclusions myself – especially the one about using stuff out of my stash.
Thanks for sharing!

Jul 25, 2008 - 06:07:59
Penny said:

great post Beth and so true about not having too much choice. I am trying to purge some things by binning them/giving them to friends/adding them to my sale pile (they go in my ‘Ebay cupboard’ as you can feel overwhelmed with choice and feel ‘where do I start?’

Jul 25, 2008 - 07:07:29
Kim H said:

WOW what great tips! I love this card it is so sweet! She is colored so beautifully!

Jul 25, 2008 - 08:07:59
Jennifer E. said:

Beth, This is all so true! I do alot of the same time saving tips and tricks as you do! It’s amazing how quickly you can make a card when you already have a stack of stamped & colored images ready to go! I just learned this myself about 2-3 months ago. I love the prepost feature. Whoever thought of that was a genius! And yes, I’m a hoarder too–trying to let go! LOL! 🙂 Thanks for sharing this. I’ve enjoyed reading it.

Jul 25, 2008 - 10:07:48
Lisa Beaudry said:

Awesome tips!!! I am gonna take your advice and get some coloring done at work.

Just one question…do you color an image multiple times in different colors? I am thinking of how you get your image to match your papers when it’s time to create.

Love your card!

Jul 25, 2008 - 11:07:14
Kimmy K. said:

WOW! Talk about time management! you really have it together girlfriend! I have recently started coloring more at work too – I used to try to make cards there but that was too complicated and required waaaay too many supplies. I do use the Pre-Post feature too -especially right now while I am on vacation. I need to purge a bit more too. I haven’t been buying so that is helping with my hoarding problem. THanks for all the fabulous tips. I might actually start trying to make a card a day and see how it goes. Thanks friend!

Jul 25, 2008 - 11:07:56

Nice post Beth!! Way to use that time!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Jul 25, 2008 - 11:07:16
christina d said:

I don’t blog yet., but I like how to do a card a day. You said you used OMspirits to blend, what were you coloring the images with? I love your blog and plan to stay signed up a long, long time.

Jul 25, 2008 - 12:07:05
Theresa said:

Fantastic advice! TFS

Jul 26, 2008 - 11:07:06
Eleanor said:

Thanks for the tips – all great ideas! I love the new look of your blog.

Jul 27, 2008 - 09:07:29
Ethel Amutan said:

This is such an awesome post, Beth! I should try this out and see if I can get something new on my blog at least more than just once a week! Thanks for sharing your wonderful tips!

Jul 28, 2008 - 07:07:31
Penny said:

OK, Beth help! I am confused. I just received a great colouring tutorial in my in-box and when I come here to comment it’s not here!! Hmmm, this is a bit of a learning curve isn’t it? LOL. I hope it’s not gone poof!

Jul 28, 2008 - 08:07:52
Carolyn Sharkas said:

I just found your blog and I love it. Very useful post today for my first time here. I want to start a blog and more time to stamp, I never thought to do things in an assembly line unless I was doing a swap. What a great idea to stamp, then color when time permits, then have those ready to go, along with the already done backgrounds. I think I will learn alot here. Thanks for sharing. I have subscribed, so expect me often.

Aug 3, 2008 - 10:08:58
Dianne K. said:

This is such a terrific post, Beth. I often wondered how people found the time for art, blogging, family. Thanks so much for sharing.