How to Create Distressed Cuttlebug Backgrounds

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-6

I am so excited about today’s tutorial.  While playing around with embossing powder this weekend, I developed the Distressed Cuttlebug Background technique which is what I am sharing with you today.

My background was made using the Scrappy Spots technique from the June 2009 issue of the Technique Junkie Newsletter.  Noah’s Ark, from Our Daily Bread Designs, worked well with this technique because the Ark image came with sentiments which I stamped into the background.  Rainbow is from Odd Bird Planet.  Waves were stamped onto Cling and Scrunch technique from the June 2007 issue of the TJ Newsletter.

Supplies: White or Cream cardstock, clean VersaMark stamp pad, embossing powder, heat gun, sanding block or paper

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-1

With a clean VersaMark pad, cover your background completely.

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-2

Cover your background with embossing powder.

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-4

Use your heat gun to emboss your background.  I now use the heat gun on my ironing board and no longer have to worry about ruining my cutting mat or table.

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-3

With your dirty VersaMark pad, cover the entire background once again.

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-21

Add embossing powder and emboss with a heat gun.

embossed-cuttlebug-cuttlebug-tutorial-cuttlebug-cards-cuttlebug-ideas-5

With a sanding block, lightly rub over top of the background and rub off the embossing powder on the raised area.

That’s it.  Very simply and effective technique.  Have fun!

For a complete list of my tutorials, visit the Tutorial page at the top of my blog.

Posted on : Feb 09 2010
Posted under Tutorials |

Feb 9, 2010 - 03:02:47
Elaine Allen said:

Beth –

What a great technique! Awesome – I’m going to have to try this one. Thanks for sharing with us.

Elaine

Feb 9, 2010 - 05:02:02

WOWZERS this is awesome! Your card is gorgeous!

Feb 9, 2010 - 07:02:17
beth said:

Wow GF that is a fantastic tut will definitely checking it out more tomorrow anytime it has to do with my cuttlebug I am game.

Feb 10, 2010 - 01:02:33
Ila said:

What a Gorgeous card!!….I love this distressed CB background….Fabulous tutorial Beth!!…Hugs, Ila

Feb 10, 2010 - 02:02:59
Maryann said:

Hi Beth, This is simply a brilliant idea. Thanks soooo much for sharing it with us. It´s definately one, I´m going to try many many times, I´m sure, as I can think of sooo many thing, it´ll be great for.
Thanks again for all the wonderful tutorials, you do to help us. They´re all soooo great, and I really enjoy to look around here in your blog, and I keep finding amazing new things every day inhere. You´re sooo talented and thanks again for sharing all that great talent with us.
biiig warm hugs Maryann

Feb 10, 2010 - 03:02:43
barbd said:

Beth I really like your card what a great technique..You are on top of techniques as usual.. thanks for the great tutorial….

Feb 10, 2010 - 01:02:03
MissLedz said:

Hi!

Thanks for visiting my scrapblog and taking the time to leave a comment too,

Really appreciate it!!! 🙂

Looking around in your page makes me go \wow\…you really create amazing stuff and i love your tutorial.

Is it ok to add a link too your page in my blog?!.

//MissLedZ (Katja)

Feb 10, 2010 - 01:02:27
Kim Piggott said:

Wow!
This is so fantastic! Love your great tutorial thank you!
hugs
kim x

Feb 15, 2010 - 11:02:51
Jennifer E. said:

Too cool and what a beautiful card! Thanks for sharing this technique I hope to try it soon!

Feb 7, 2012 - 08:02:11

Very informative blog post.Really thank you! Much obliged.