Sour Cream Pierogi Dough Recipe

Our Daily Bread Designs, Texture It, sunflowers and dragonflies blog Hello folks.  This is one of my favourite older cards I shared a couple of years ago.  I love the Serenity Prayer and thought I had to share it again.  I like to post cards when I’m posting odds and sods like I am today.

One of my readers asked me to share my Pierogi recipe.  After years of using just a basic dough recipe, my mom suggested I find a recipe that uses sour cream.  It’s all the difference in the world and it makes my dough bounce back when I touch it.

• 3 cups all purpose flour, plus flour to dust the work surface
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup water
  1.  Combine flour, salt, sour cream, egg and water in  a large bowl.  Mix until dough comes together.  If dough is dry, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time until it’s moist and springy.  If the dough is sticky, add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it’s smooth.
  2. On a floured work surface, knead dough for 3 or 4 minutes until elastic.  Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

I have a Pierogi making contraption so all I have to do is set the dough in it and add the filling.  If you don’t have one of those, use a circular glass and cut out your dough with the glass and fold over your edges after dampening the edges with water.  Press edges lightly with fingers or fork.

Filling:

Boiled potatoes mixed with sharp cheddar cheese

Saurkraut

Enjoy!

Posted on : Nov 12 2015
Posted under Freebies and Links |

Nov 12, 2015 - 10:11:54
myrna cochrane said:

Lovely card!
Made my mouth water with the recipe. 🙂

Nov 13, 2015 - 08:11:24
Shirley said:

Hi Beth, I love pierogis they are the best comfort food but I doubt I would have success making them. I tried baking bread and pie crust once and both turned out rock hard. Your card is beautiful! Happy Weekend, Shirleyx

Nov 13, 2015 - 09:11:58
Susan P said:

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I plan on trying it out this weekend. My mom uses potatoes and farmer cheese as her filling. Have you tried it with blueberries? Yum!

Nov 13, 2015 - 09:11:22

Beth, your recipe sounds delightful, but I bet there is a real art to making good pierogis! Like Shirley, my pie crusts are not so great…:) Oh my goodness, this card is absolutely stunning! Hope you have a wall someplace to showcase this, as it’s totally frameable! Hugs…

Nov 14, 2015 - 01:11:17
Shelly Schmidt said:

Love your older card- the sentiment is wonderful. I a not sure I have ever tried a Pierogi……..

Nov 14, 2015 - 05:11:16
michele s said:

I also love the serenity prayer and I definitely love your card. where did you get the serenity prayer stamp? thanks for the recipe — though I admit i’ll still prefer to get my pierogis from the Russian bakery! 🙂 xo

Nov 21, 2015 - 08:11:27
Marisa Job said:

Beautiful card! I love the Serenity Prayer too. Hugs!

Nov 22, 2015 - 06:11:20
pam said:

Beautiful card Beth, love the sentiment, thanks for sharing your oldie card.
Never heard of pierogis, sound delightful..
Pam x