How to Create a Reverse Spotlight Technique

Bam, how is this for a large photo?  I’m told that my photos are too small so I created a much larger pic for you.

So, today I have what I call a “reverse spotlight” technique.  I combined this technique with my much-loved Stampscapes stamps.  Even if you don’t have these stamps, any stamps will do.

Supplies:  Four colours of ink, stipple brushes, glossy paper

Not in Photo:  white cardstock, round punch

Stipple yellow in the center of your glossy paper.  Surround with the next darker colour.

Continue adding darker colour as shown here.

Finish by using a dark blue or purple for the edges.  Round your edges as shown here.

Stamp out main image.  Notice my black mark on the bottom? That was brought about when I opened up my ink pad and dropped it.  Have you done that before?  I always seem to.  Anyways, that is okay because mistakes are so easily hidden with these stamps.

Stamp out trees.  Stagger the size by stamping the whole tree out and then just the tips.  Do not fill up all of the space because a second focal point will be added.

Add a second and third focal image as I did with the fishing boat and flying geese.  There are many other stamps to use (ie. row boat, loon, moon).

Stamp out main image onto cardstock.

Punch a hole in the cardstock.

Adhere punched circle and finish your card.

Tutorials each Tuesday

Posted on : Aug 02 2011
Posted under cards, Stampscapes, Tutorials |

Aug 2, 2011 - 02:08:17

HOLEY CATFISH BATMAN, you are soooo amazing! I love this tut! I would never in a millions years done this and it is stunning! You ROCK, GF

Aug 2, 2011 - 03:08:21

Beautiful.

Aug 2, 2011 - 04:08:03
Myrna said:

Beth
Wow, lovin’ it!!!!
I have the Stampscapes and have to get off my duff and make a card. THANKS for the tut. It is just what I needed.

Aug 2, 2011 - 04:08:31
Chris said:

Love it Beth and your tutorial too! The stamps are gorgeous, I like scene building stamps and you’ve made an amazing scene. You aren’t alone with dropping stamp pads :D! Have a good week, Chris 🙂

Aug 2, 2011 - 10:08:05
Joy said:

This is beautiful, Beth! Kinda like watching Bob Ross and his happy little accidents!
XoXoXo
Joy

Aug 2, 2011 - 11:08:19
mel mccarthy said:

Gorgeous! I love how the stamped scene is bold, but you add so much to it with the soft pretty colours. The big pic is super!

Aug 3, 2011 - 03:08:15
Maryann said:

Good Golly miss Molly, this is sooooo stunning Beth!!! I´m totally in awe about this card, it´s simply amazing and so perfect. The tut is just awesome and soo easy to follow, that anybody should be able to make something like this now, and just go for a little practice I think. I´m totally speachless with the beauty in this, soooooooo so gorgeous hun. I just LOOOVE what you´ve done, and definately HAVE TO try this sometime soon too.
I just have one question thoug, why did you punch and add that vcircle at last, cause I can´t really see it from the pictrures??? Sorry if I´m asking stupid, I just didn´t understands, why it should be nessecvary at all?? Your work is as always just so perfect hun. I just love it.
Have a wonderful day and lots of fun.

Aug 3, 2011 - 06:08:18
Lynn Smith said:

Maryann, just to let you know – if you are stupid, so am I. I had the same question. I could not tell what was done with the circle that you punched out at the end. The card is beautiful and brilliant!

Aug 4, 2011 - 02:08:17
velta said:

First of all, I do not think your photos are too small…next this is such an inspiration to me…I have toyed with backgrounds and this is another way for me to get to the next level of creating…Thank you Beth for sharing…this is beautiful!

Aug 4, 2011 - 04:08:52
Terry said:

Beautiful Stampscapes scene! The inking is so perfectly blended along with the tree placement! Great tutorial! Love this card!